Veterans Memorial Hospital Diabetes Education Program is a nationally recognized education program by the AADE (American Association of Diabetes Educators). The Diabetes Education Program is committed to providing people with Pre-Diabetes, Type 1, Type 2, and Gestational Diabetes with education in the latest technology, medications, and self-management skills needed to manage the disease. Outpatient continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) is also offered for medication adjustment and management. The Diabetes Education Team strongly believes that education in self-management skills is an essential component of diabetes care. Diabetes Prevention Education is available upon request.
- Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) Continuous glucose monitoring is used to determine what a patient’s blood glucose levels are continuously, 24 hours a day, even while they sleep. When the data is downloaded at the end of the study, there are a total of 288 blood sugar readings available over a 24 hour time span. The information is able to be transferred into graphs which can show the healthcare providers how a patient’s blood sugar trends throughout each day.
- One-on-One Consultations.
- Group classes available for the above conditions.
- Diabetes Support Group – free every 3rd Thursday per month from 10 a.m. – 11 a.m. at Veterans Memorial Hospital.
- Free blood sugar testing at many community events.