You are currently viewing How To Prevent Carbon Monoxide Exposure- From the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) and  Allamakee Public Health
Pictured is our Community and Home Care/Public Health staff who together drove 59,792 miles around Allamakee County in 2023 providing numerous services to the area communities.

How To Prevent Carbon Monoxide Exposure- From the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) and Allamakee Public Health

Veterans Memorial Hospital Community & Home Care/Allamakee County Public Health warns of the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning, especially during the winter months with these facts from the CDC.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, and toxic gas. Exposure to carbon monoxide impedes the blood’s ability to carry oxygen to body tissues and vital organs.  Carbon monoxide may be emitted by vehicle exhausts, fuel burning furnaces, coal burning power plants, small gasoline engines, portable gasoline-powered generators, power washers, fire places, charcoal grills, marine engines, forklifts, propane-powered heaters, gas water heaters, and kerosene heaters.

Common symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure are headache, nausea, rapid breathing, weakness, exhaustion, dizziness, and confusion. Hypoxia (severe oxygen deficiency) due to acute carbon monoxide poisoning may result in brain damage or heart damage.

Follow these steps from the CDC to prevent Carbon Monoxide Exposure:

  • Do have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
  • Do install a battery-operated or battery back-up CO detector in your home. Check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds leave your home immediately and call 911.
  • Do seek prompt medical help if you suspect CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseated.
  • Don’t use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, or garage or near a window.
  • Don’t run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.
  • Don’t burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn’t vented.
  • Don’t heat your house with a gas oven.
  • Don’t use a generator, pressure washer, or any gasoline-powered engine less than 20 feet from any window, door, or vent. Use an extension cord that is more than 20 feet long to keep the generator at a safe distance.