Exercising is important to do all year round. One should not feel that they need to stay indoors to exercise during cold weather. A good workout outdoors in the winter can be very exhilarating. Just follow the steps below for keeping it a safe outdoor winter workout:
- Warm up longer than usual before heading outdoors in cold weather.
- Keep skin dry. This in turn will keep the exerciser warmer.
- Dress accordingly using many layers. Be sure that the outer layer will break the wind. Add a fluffy layer, like fleece or wool, to trap heat in. And long underwear is good to keep the skin dry.
- Always wear a hat to prevent heat loss through the top of the head.
- Wear mittens instead of gloves to allow air to circulate better between the fingers, keeping the hands warmer.
Always be sure to exercise in a safe, well-lit area. Stay clear of any icy spots and proceed with care in snow. One never knows what may lie under those snow-covered spots.
For more information on exercising in cold weather, please call the Veterans Memorial Hospital Healthy Lifestyles Rehabilitation Center at (563) 568-3411.